Re: [IGSROBIN] Supersoil

I'll have you know that I was out at the crack of dawn (well, pretty near
dawn, it was still kind of dusky out ... or maybe my eyes were just closed)
braving the cold (with a capital BRR!), and the slugs the size of sanitation
trucks (yuck!) that seem determined to leap under my bare feet at inopportune
moments, just to look at the bag of Supersoil.  And all of this adventure,
just for you.

Supersoil appears to be a local brand, as you suspected, made in San Mateo,
CA, without change to the original recipe since 1954.

The specs are that it has "an exclusive blend of the finest natural
ingredients nature has to offer -- forest products, including fir bark and
redwood, Canadian sphagnum peat moss and pure sand -- Supersoil potting mix
promises many special advantages for whatever you plant, wherever you plant

Steam sterlilized
pH range of 5.5-6.5

Total Nitrogen:  0.14%
  (0.01 Ammoniacal Nitrogen, 0.01% Nitrate Nitrogen, 0.01% Water Soluble
Organic Nitrogen, and 0.11% Water Insoluable Organic Nitrogen)
Available Phosphoric Acid (P205):  0.09%
Soluble Potash (K20):  0.02%
Iron (Fe):  0.25% y

The mix I use at this time is 2 parts Supersoil, 1 part perlite, and 1 part
mulching amendment.  I'm going to be trying an experiment wherein I also add 1
part sand.  I mix it up in small lots most of the time, just using a 5.5" pot
to scoop the various incredients into my mixing tub and then stirring it up
and using it all in one batch.  That way the neighbor's cat isn't tempted to
leave me presents in the soft soil, and I don't have to find said presents and
get annoyed with her.

So, are you actually making your own soap, or just reading about it?