Re: [IGSROBIN] Supersoil

Hi Cindi

> I'll have you know that I was out at the crack of dawn (well, pretty
near >dawn, it was still kind of dusky out ... or maybe my eyes were
just closed) >braving the cold (with a capital BRR!),

Did I see the word cold??? :-) Oh My ... I have a feeling that we are
talking about the temps that make us feel like going out in shorts here.
Say  around 40- 45 maybe??
I do appreciate your hardship though since I know that your body has
probably forgotton it's midwest heritage <chuckle>.

>and the slugs the size of sanitation trucks
> (yuck!) that seem determined to leap under my bare feet at inopportune

Now slugs are not my friend at all. I go out at night with a bottle of
ammonia water in the early spring, hunting them down with a vengence so
they don't get the better of my plants later. Squirt  those critters
with a mild ammonia solution and they bubble up and disentigrate <heh
heh heh> .

> Supersoil appears to be a local brand, as you suspected, made in San
Mateo, CA,
> without change to the original recipe since 1954.
> The specs are that it has "an exclusive blend of the finest natural
> nature has to offer -- forest products, including fir bark and redwood
> Canadian sphagnum peat moss and pure sand -- Supersoil potting mix
> many special advantages for whatever you plant, wherever you plant it.
> Steam sterlilized
> pH range of 5.5-6.5
> Total Nitrogen:  0.14%
>   (0.01 Ammoniacal Nitrogen, 0.01% Nitrate Nitrogen, 0.01% Water
> Organic Nitrogen, and 0.11% Water Insoluable Organic Nitrogen)
> Available Phosphoric Acid (P205):  0.09%
> Soluble Potash (K20):  0.02%
> Iron (Fe):  0.25% y

Hmmmmm.... from the ingrediant list and spec that you have listed, it
appears to be very similar to alot of "professional" mixes that have
appeared around here. In fact, It even sounds very similar to Sam's
Choice (I think that is what it is called) potting soil from WalMart. I
have used that for a base at times when I can get it for next to
nothing during a clearence period. (Just because it is from Walmart
doesn't mean it is cheap <G>. )

I have noticed that these mixes don't really have near the amount of
perlite that I would like to see so I can see adding some. I usually add
1/2 - 1part perlite like you do.

> The mix I use at this time is 2 parts Supersoil, 1 part perlite, and 1
> mulching amendment.  I'm going to be trying an experiment wherein I
also add 1
> part sand.  I mix it up in small lots most of the time, just using a 5
.5" pot

Is that mulching amendment a ground bark product by any chance? I have
been adding what is called Organic base to my perennials and some of my
pellies when they go into the ground.  I also add a few spoonfuls of
Hoffman Organic Azalia food to the bedding soil as well as the potting
mix since my water and soil around here is fairly alkaline.
I like to add my own compost too whenever I can.

> to scoop the various incredients into my mixing tub and then stirring
it up and
> using it all in one batch.  That way the neighbor's cat isn't tempted
to leave

Do you know anyone that works in a sandwich shop or fast food place
(actually anywhere that would use pickles would work)? My oldest
Daughter worked at a Subway Sandwich shop for 3 years and was able to
get me many 5 gallon plastic pails that the pickles came in . They are
great for storing soil, dog food, bird seed mixing water etc. The
restaurants usually either pitch them or send them to recycle but we
might as well recycle them and get some personal use out of them .

> So, are you actually making your own soap, or just reading about it?

Yes <G>.  In the last 4 months I have probably made 6 batches of soap. I
just made my largest batch last night that will produce 18 3.5 oz bars
when it is all cured. I have quite a few sitting around curing now.
I have been trying to use my herbs (as well as scented pellies) in the
process. I have even tried my hand at distilling the oils out of Rose
scented pellies. I can only come up with strong floral water so far but
that is better than nothing. I have also come up with a couple nice
moisturizing formulas that alot of friends of mine seem to like.

Well back to you for now.