Re: [IGS] Have you got an idea?

Hi Jip,
My name is Dale Neil and I am supposed to be the official greeter for
the list but it seems that I have been falling short lately. Thank you
for posting to the IGSROBIN and feel free (as you seem to be now :-)  )
to post any comments and questions you have about the wonderful geranium
family. I will look forward to reading more of your messages.

> 1. I have a pelargonium odoratissimum that looks a bit tatty. Normally
you can
> prune pelargoniums back, but this plant of course doesn't have stems
that you
> could cut back, so do I just cut off the tired-looking leaves?
I don't have a P. odoratissimum yet (I understand that one will be
headed my way soon from a friend in North Carolina) but I do have many
of the apple x nutmeg crosses as well as apple mint. Also, coconut seems
to share a similar growth pattern as apple. If you have some new growth
coming out from the crown, you can feel free to shear all the old leaves
off the plant and it will renew itself. If you can't see new growth
coming from the crown, then you can still cut it back but I wouldn't do
a drastic pruning until it has a chance to put out some new growth. Some
feel that since it produces seed so readily  that the best way to
propagate it is through seeds but it can be divided and cuttings can be

> 2. Yesterday I bought a plant called 'Queen of Lemons/Citrosa'.
According to
> the books 'Queen of Lemons' has leaves that are 3-4cm across,
shallowly 3lobed
> and crisped with very fine sharp teeth plus a citrus scent. My plant
has the
> nice citrus scent, but the leaves are 5-6cm, deeply lobed, no crispy
edges and

There are 2 plants that are being marketed in the United States as P.
Citrosa. (  aka  The Mosquito Plant) . both have leaves somewhat similar
to a P Graveolens with mild lemon scent for one and (as I perceive the
aroma) the other has a citrus/mint fragrance. I don't know if that gives
any clue to what you have or not. Maybe someone else might know more. It
is amazing sometimes just how many variations of cultivars there are
among the Scenteds. Some seem to be renamed for marketing purposes
sometimes. (One greenhouse owner that I provided a "Fruity" scented  for
wanted to call it "Fruit Juicy" because she said "cutsy sells" <sigh> .
I did notice that she had the correct name on the label this year as I
looked over her supply. I know of another local source that I have never
seen them have a legitamately labeled Rober's Lemon-Rose. I did get a
Rober's from them but it wasn't labeled that. I think in that case a
label got switched on the mother plant at one time and was never found
out... the one the want to call Rober's is a P. crispum variety.)

I don't know if I have helped or not but it did give me a chance to talk
about on of my favorite topics.:-)

Oh .... you have been officially greeted now <smile>. Hope to hear read
more from you.

Zone 5 Rock Island, Illinois (USA)