Re: IGSROBIN Digest - 11 Sep 2002 to 12 Sep 2002 (#2002-113)

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] IGSROBIN Digest - 11 Sep 2002 to 12 Sep 2002 (#2002-113)
  • From: Ed Olson Moore H20wrx@AOL.COM
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:58:52 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/02 2:27:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Laurie@LAEOM.COM
writes:

>  African violet Society...  Their individual dues are 20.00
> a year to be increased in October to 25.00, the first increase in a while
> ( and something they had to do, as they too just about break even) - they
> also publish a color magazine.

Laurie_ I've seen their magazine. In fact I had a few old copies. If I
remember correctly, they had at least 2-3 times as many pages as GATW, and
lots of color pictures. What's the average number of pages in that magazine
now, and how many are color. I think you would loose lots of members in the
IGS if you tried to jump dues to $25.00 annually.

one man wrote a software program that has all the names of
> registered varieties and that is available to members for 25.00 (before this
> recent upgrade it was 12.00 for several years)- the new program even has
> photos of  about 1,000 of the plants.

Now that is an idea! Scan all the old GATWs onto a disc and sell the disc for
$50.00 (arbitrary number). You probably would still make more money annually
than you do on back issues now. People would have the information at their
fingertips.

I personally don't like the idea of not allowing any information on the
internet. If you are selective about what is release for general distribution
on the internet, you may well attract more potential members. Of course the
other alternative is a totally pay site, but if that is all someone is paying
for, you will need more information than just the GATW magazine, if you
charge more than general membership fees.

Thanks for the input.
Ed