Re: IGSROBIN Digest - 11 Sep 2002 to 12 Sep 2002 (#2002-113)

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] IGSROBIN Digest - 11 Sep 2002 to 12 Sep 2002 (#2002-113)
  • From: "Laurie AE O'Meara" Laurie@LAEOM.COM
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 02:09:17 -0400

Hi Everyone :)  I have greatly enjoyed the messages about where the IGS is
headed and how to expand on what is currently available to members.  I
wanted to mention that the African violet Society has an agreement with all
of the local clubs/affiliates that any information posted or published by a
local club/affiliate is to be available to be shared and reprinted by the
national magazine.  In other words when an article is published in a local
club newsletter, it is automatically the property of that club and AVSA and
can be reprinted. They also do not allow any of the AVSA printed information
to be available on the internet, in order to keep the magazine more
desirable and thus promote paid membership. Local clubs and affiliates are
really promoted as a major source of local funding, and then I believe the
clubs pay fees to be affiliates with AVSA.  Their individual dues are 20.00
a year to be increased in October to 25.00, the first increase in a while
( and something they had to do, as they too just about break even) - they
also publish a color magazine.  In the hobby of African violet growing, the
shows have become a major "push", as is the national convention each year.
I am not sure of all their funding practices, but can look into it further
to see if they have any ideas.  They do have some volunteers that do "major"
contributions - one man wrote a software program that has all the names of
registered varieties and that is available to members for 25.00 (before this
recent upgrade it was 12.00 for several years)- the new program even has
photos of  about 1,000 of the plants.  I only mention these things, not in
criticism of IGS, because other than more information on the process of
registering a new plant, and perhaps more shared information on hybridizing,
I generally like IGS the way it is, and as I am a fairly new member, I am
sure I haven't yet explored all the advantages of membership.  I am also
fairly new to this list so if I am saying anything that may have been
addressed before, please excuse. I would like to see a local club in my
area, and would even consider starting one, but I have a hard time getting
people around here to think of geraniums or pelargoniums as more than their
(disposable) summer annuals, and many people don't realize what a large and
varied plant group this is, OR I haven't yet bumped into the right people.
There seems to be little interest locally in species, but believe me I am
trying to change that.  I think AVSA also has hand-outs as far as how they
start a local club, how to run meetings, etc., and perhaps IGS might
consider club promotion.

I love GATW.  I just today received four back issues and am absolutely
thrilled with the information they hold.

As I said, I don't mention the AVSA society for any reason other than
"brainstorming" for ideas for promoting IGS, and if I personally can help in
any way, let me know.  African Violets are also a whole different type of
plant, attracting perhaps a whole different group of people, no slight meant
to anyone in any plant group/hobby, but AVs are houseplants and perhaps the
promotion of their society is slightly easier - Again, no slight to anyone
intended, I am trying to say that the methods AVSA uses for fundraising and
promotion may or may not work for another plant group.  I am also active in
other societies, but the African Violet society seems to be the most "vocal"
in promotion.

It was mentioned that my Yahoo group focusses mainly on garden plants and at
this time that is true.  I am open to expansion on discussion topics, and
actually never really limited it in any way.  I feel as our membership
grows, discussion will be more varied, and will still not compete with this
list or the other Yahoo groups.  I personally am "thirsty" for all types of
information on this plant family, wherever I can get it.

Laurie

Laurie A.E. O'Meara

Artist and Horticulturist

Caper Cod, MA USA zone 7

http://www.laeom.com

Moderator/Owner -Geraniums and Pelargoniums at Yahoo