Re: AT LAST family

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] AT LAST family
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:49:05 -0500

>When the half-bred parent is relatively dark, there's still a wide range of colors but >the darker ones clearly dominate and I have no records of white standards such as >you obtained.
Rotten photography.  #2 has a lighter shade of the burgundy/gold blend on the standards.  They're not as light as the photo indicates.  In fact the color on that sdlg. just would not come out right in the photos under any light conditions.  #3 was was a pale yellow with darker yellow veins on the standards - the veining near the color of the falls, but a bit brighter.  About the color of a yellow marking pen.  But very light anyway.  Plus I wouldn't really have expected yellow standards from either potential pollen parent - at least not that light yellow.  On neither plant did the standards fade to white.
As a side note, if the pod on #4 holds, they all will have set pods.  #1 has three pods, the others one each.  For the number of blooms and my dismal history in getting pods, that's very good.  Of course some could still prove to be balloon pods and shrivel up, but with every day that passes it seems less likely.
Some things a camera can't tell you, either.  These were remarkably weather resistant blooms.  #3 got battered badly when it first bloomed, but what was left of the bloom stood up and if you got at the right angle, still looked like a good bloom.  The last bloom on the stalk held up well and it was the only one that opened without really adverse conditions on that clump.  At that, I think it was the weakest bloom in the weather of the four seedlings.  It will be interesting to see if they maintain that after the maiden bloom.  My own experience is that subsequent blooms downsize, bloom later in the season but improve in substance and buds.  Color change hasn't been much in evidence from maiden bloom to subsequent years.  But with the variability in so many of the arilbreds, I wonder if they'll look quite the same.

Yahoo! Groups Links