Re: HYB:Crossing humor (sorta)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos]HYB:Crossing humor (sorta)
  • From: "jgcrump" jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:34:21 -0400

Betty  --  A perhaps unexpected answer to the question your listener posed would be, "Not entirely."  Faced with the prospect of losing a pod on an iris growing in a location too exposed to various dangers, such as small boys with sticks passing by, mowing crews, etc., I have several times carefully dug a pod-bearing iris and moved it either to a pot or to another, more protected location.  The key, of course, is to move it in a large enough ball of dirt that it doesn't seriously disturb the roots.  Ordinarily, this can be effected by making a deep cut in the ground on one side of the plant with a shovel, then making a matching cut on the other side and lifting the iris on the shovel.  A simple, two-step operation.  Haven't lost one in this way yet.  --  Griff

zone 7 in Virginia