Re: Anything I can do?

In a message dated 4/4/2007 9:50:39 A.M. Central Daylight Time, littlebit63_38024@yahoo.com writes:
We are suppose to get cold temps in tonight. Some are
saying as low as 31 while others are saying 38. What
if anything can I do to try to save my irises.? These
temps are expected to last into next week and I don't
really want to lose my spring bloom.

Any suggestions/

Thanks in advance

In the roller-coaster Midwest weather, we deal with this all the time, Spring and Fall!  We have found that it really has to go to mid twenties or lower to cause any real damage except to the fully open blooms!  Some people cover them, sometimes I cut almost ready buds and bring them in to open so I can admire them.
 It is supposed to go to mid twenties tonite and I am putting empty pots over some of my clumps that have lots of buds, especially the new SDBs that I have not yet seen!  Anyone who was at the "Snow" AIS Convention in Denver in 1998 will tell you, even a snow storm on fully open beds, doesn't really do long term damage.  In fact, it was quite beautiful!
Here in MO, we fear the hail more than 30 degree weather but it only hailed a little yesterday!  We are about 10 days to 2 weeks early here this year and really welcome a week of cooler weather to slow things down enough so we have bloom left for the scheduled May tours and Regional meeting.
In the meantime, take lots of pictures!
Rita Gormley
Gormley Greenery
Cedar Hill, MO