  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 11:09:45 -0500

Donald  --  In my experience, blooms don't usually get better in years after
maiden bloom, and sometimes aren't as good, BUT I have also experienced
seedlings which (1) have improved remarkably over the years, or (2) have
been a disappointment in second and subsequent years, only to have the
beauty of the maiden bloom reappear some years later.  In the first case, I
think it simply means that some irises mature more slowly than others.  In
the second case, the behavior is erratic and I can't account for it.  An
example of the latter is a seedling of mine which first bloomed about a
dozen years ago.  It was a bright gold with an embossed texture that caught
the light and was quite distinctive, an eye catcher from across the garden.
The branching was excellent, the petals round, and the bud count good.  I
had a name picked out for it.  The next year everything was the same, except
that the petals' texture was smooth  --  it had lost the distinctive lustre
and was just another strong yellow iris.  It was the same in the following
years and, though I saved it, I forgot about it.  Then, last year, there was
the bright gold shining from across the garden again.  The texture was back.
Why?  I don't know.  We'll see what happens this year . . .  but I'm not
holding my breath.  --  Griff