  • Subject: Re: Re: BB: AGAINST THE TIDE
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:30:02 -0500

Donald  --  I short-handed the hybridizing a bit in that last posting.  Here's the full process.  I'm sharing it primarily for the benfit of those who are considering bringing modern form from older varieties:
1. WABASH was crossed with a Crossman yellow TB seedling of the late 1970s to give it more modern form.  That produced a murky yellow bi-tone TB seedling that had good form and branching.  I have always simply called it YBT (for "yellow bi-tone").
(A 10-year gap in my hybridizing occurred.)
2. WABASH was crossed with YBT in 1992, producing TB 93L1 (attached).
3. 93L1 was crossed with CHAMPAGNE ELEGANCE, a TB, in 1994 to reintroduce the amoena effect, producing 952Y3 (attached), which was a bi-color TB.
4. 952Y3 was crossed with BEST BET, a near-amoena TB (albeit a "small tall"), in 1995, producing AGAINST THE TIDE, a full amoena border-bearded.
Photos of 93L1, 952Y3 and AGAINST THE TIDE are attached to show  the progression.  --  Griff

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Top Scientist

10 Greatest Ever