Re: CULT: pineapple- confused

  • Subject: Re: CULT: pineapple- confused
  • From: "flatnflashy" <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:48:24 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, Jan Lauritzen
<janicelauritzen@...> wrote:
> Hi Christian,

I'm confused. To my eye my picture, and iris, do not look anything
like the "proliferation". For one thing mine is still very much in
the dirt- er clay. I'll buy the asexual part...

This is one branch of the rhizome clump which ends in the fan whose
base is visible in the second shot. This part of the rhizome
has "normal" increases off to the sides, you can see them at the
bottom of the second picture.

Maybe I'm just operating under a faulty understanding of how iris
rhizomes grow. I'm accepting as normal that the rhizome makes new
leaves until it reaches bloom size, blooms, and dies. Hopefully, the
rhizome pauses long enough to create "daughter" rhizomes, which are
usually lateral of the "mother" rhizome. Operating in that
perspective, the appearance of several fans on top of a
single "mother" rhizome, as appears to be the case with this plant,
is abberant.

> No, that is not pineappling. When an iris pineapples it has
several short stems of flowers and jammed up, very short leaves.
Your picture is of an asexual reproductive node. Someone else will
tell you the name of the this which is often found in daylilies. I
am sending a picture which someone else posted on iris photos last
year. Maybe someone else will post a picture of pineappling. I
can't find one in my files.
> Jan in Chatsworth
Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.