RE: HYB: Kupari X Rosemary's Dream

  • Subject: RE: HYB: Kupari X Rosemary's Dream
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 05:04:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Dave,
I'll have to check the bracts. Although I should check
'Rosemary's Dream' too, and it isn't even close to
blooming yet.
If you check the "Stem and perianth" picture that I
recently posted, it's a half-pallida hybrid with the
other parent having green bracts. You can see the
bracts of this hybrid are half-papery/half-green.
As for the origin of the plicata pattern in "pallida"
plicatas, my current theory would be that it's an
introgression from Iris variegata. I actually got a
number of plicatas in the first generation of 'Kupari'
pallida X Iris variegata, but have yet to find any
plicatas in any other species cross involving

And I'll bet you meant "a [tetraploid] Iris that looks
like I. pallida and has the sweet scent too", right???
I'll bet that would be even more popular than you're
Best wishes, Tom
Dave Ferguson wrote:
Question - does it have papery bracts like I. pallida?
I'm curious how pure a hybrid has to be before it
really starts to look like a pallida. There are a lot
of "pallida" plicatas that have flowers a lot like
this one, and it would be interesting to know if this
sort of plicata pattern comes from pallida itself, or
from introduction of genes from something else. Also,
even though it's sort of an eclectic goal, I'd like to
breed a diploid Iris that looks like I. pallida and
has the sweet scent too .

Dave Ferguson

Be a better friend, newshound, and