AB: seedling change from maiden bloom

  • Subject: AB: seedling change from maiden bloom
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 13:11:25 -0500

The cross here is (Gold of Ophir x unknown) X Star of Spring, so this would
be a first generation OGB- type AB. What's interesting to me about the
bloom this year is a turn to more of an AB form than it's displayed in the
past. The colors haven't altered, but the maiden and 2nd year blooms didn't
have the rounded form and tucked falls. They tended to be more like an
older form TB. The standards weren't open either. This photo is of a two
day old bloom. Seeing a lot of open standards that aren't typical of what
I've seen before. Just an altogether strange year around here. I'm looking
at a strange mix of blasted buds among healthy stalks, often seen in the
same clump. Almost no branching anywhere, low bud count everywhere with a
lot of ABs only have a terminal bud, curving stalks on things that have
always been straight. Late TBs are sending up stalks now, but so are some
ABs and TBs that are usually several weeks earlier. Only one bloom among
the medians excepting those that have aril ancestry involved. Plants are
looking some better now that it's rained a couple of times. The fertilizer
last fall is only now being available to the plants, I think.

Why are so few photos being posted? Surely not everyone is having as paltry
a year for bloom as I'm seeing. Is it still too early?

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

JPEG image