Re: Hardy louisiana

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Hardy louisiana
  • From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:14:03 -0400

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>> Partialy you are correct. Apearance of this flower reminescent to Spuria,
>> but without any doubt it is Louisiana. The seed have coating like
>> not Spurias. The leaves also are not like those of Spurias. The question
>> me is only to which species it is close.
>     It is a bit hard to tell, but it could be Iris brevicaulis.  This is
>the hardiest of the Louisianas I think.  Does it have zig-zag stems?
>Mark A. Cook

Mark, this is my thinking too......at first I wasn't convinced it was a
Louisiana, but if it really is, my first guess is brevicaulis (or
brevicaulis/fulva hybrid) because of their extreme cold hardiness.

(And we can definitely rule out the possibility of it being I. zaprjagajewii!)

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com

ATTENTION ONElist MEMBERS:  Get your ONElist news!