CULT: time duration from seed to introduction?

  • Subject: [iris-photos] CULT: time duration from seed to introduction?
  • From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:18:41 -0400

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>From: Chris Darlington <chris.darlington@sympatico.ca>
>Mike , How many rhizomes on average would you need to have of this or
>any other before introduction ?  How many years does it take to have
>sufficient stock ?

I have been wondering the same thing.  This year I obtained 2000+ seeds
from my hybridizing efforts.  I'll plant these seeds in November (late
autumn).  Many will germinate next year.

The vast majority probably won't bloom until April/May (spring) of 2002 or
even 2003.

Supposing there is some gorgeous seedling I want to introduce, how soon
could I hope to do so?  How much stock do I need?  How much test growing
(in other gardens) needs to be done?  How many years?

So from seed to introduction, how many years does it take?  Is 5 years
reasonable?  4?  maybe 7?

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com

ONElist now has T-SHIRTS!
For details and to order, go to: