Re: Iris ID's

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Iris ID's
  • From: "lmmunro" <lmmunro@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 15:23:33 -0000

Christy:
    Good rules for iris identification. Early on, I had really hoped
to identify more 'unknowns' based on my own photos...but quickly
figured out that would be impossible.
    I'll bet there are alot of iris out there that just do not have
registered names. When reading older iris catalogs, from 40's, 50's
sometimes a cultivar was noted as being very fertile, producing
interesting offspring, etc. Today's catalogs mostly don't even
mention that. So I can imagine that the gardener of 50 or so years
ago was alot more interested in do-it-yourself cross pollinating just
for the fun of it.  As for bee-pollinating...I'm sure it happens, but
I had tons of pods from bees last year...and not one seed!.
(and if anyone can venture a guess why, please let me know)
By the way, some of my 'unknowns' also are my favorites; and just
becasue it doesn't have a registered name, doesn't make appreciation
of it less enjoyable.
Laetitia

--- In iris-photos@y..., "Hensler" <hensler@p...> wrote:
> [...]
Always check