Re: Re: HIST: TB: Pink Opal- use of species designation

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: HIST: TB: Pink Opal- use of species designation
  • From: Walter Pickett waltseed2@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 17:25:47 -0800 (PST)

What I wrote a few days ago was based on the assumption that all of a plant's ancesters were actually of the same species, I. pallida in this instance.  I was making no claim that this was the case in this instance.
There are different taxonomists who know much more about I. pallida who don't agree among themselves.  I am not so familiar with I. pallida and am giving no opinion.  Actaully I have no opinion.
Today, and this is not a recent thing necessarily, finding something in the wild doesn't necessarily mean it is a pure species.
And experts differ in the definations of pure species.  It is important to keep records and type specimums if one is going to call a garden hybrid by a species name.
It would also be good to keep such records of wild-collected  clones.  Neither wild nor gardenbred means species or non-species.
A possible case in point is the Abbeville Reds in LA iris.  Are they a species, a hybrid swarm, or a hybrid swarm responding to natureal selection and moving toward, but not yet, a new species?  I don't know that there are really enough of them left to even make more than a guess.

Yahoo! Personals