Re: Re: HIST: TB: Pink Opal- use of species designation

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: HIST: TB: Pink Opal- use of species designation
  • From: irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 21:46:22 -0500

I'm collecting pallida series plants to do genetic studies and would
not consider, even for  second using something like Pink Opal and I
don't know of any biologist studing dashounds to find out about wolves.
Saying "derived from"or  some such would make the calarification and
prevent confusion.  When we call a garden derived plant from selected
crossing and/or a plant without proven species parentage  as a species
we need to be clear, otherwise someone not knowing how to interpret
this could interpret it incorectly. In addition, with pallida , there
is a revision of species clasification being undertaken by several
Croatian botanists (indeginous area of pallida series) and many of what
we call pallida may be illyrica or peudopallida .

Chuck Chapman