PCI: Hardiness in the USA

From: BigAlligator@aol.com

In a message dated 2/10/00 1:17:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jervis2@eggconnect.net writes:

<< Hardness of PCI in the USA mark says PCI are not hardy in parts of the usa.
 My i ask on what do you bases do you makr thestatement as to thehardness of
 the PC iris I would be interested in hearing of people's
 experience with them from other members hear and on iris talk. >>

     I was thinking of factors other than cold.  A few varieties are being
successfully grown in some of the eastern US states, but most simply will not
tolerate the extended runs of hot humid weather in summer.  PCI's can take
cold when covered with snow.
     When I lived in Kentucky, I tried to grow some from BIS seed.  Three
germinated, two of which were eaten by the darn squirrels.  The other one
lived about three years, but a severe April cold snap [-15 C] finished that
one off.  Had it not been in active growth...it may have survived.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida      [Low 31 F, High 72 F]

Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. ZERO. Rates as low as 0.0
percent Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no hidden
fees, and much more. Get NextCard today and get the credit you deserve.
Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at