PCI hardnees

From: "jervis2" <jervis2@eggconnect.net>

I noted the comment below about the native locations of the species in California. And wonder if Mr. Edmundas Kondratas or any other member would like to contribute moor information on that aspect. I.e. the specie name and the natural weather conditions.

At all PCI can be well frost resistant and from other hand not. It depends from which native locations species were used for hybridizing. Note the species growing in lower part of Californian Mountains are not frost resistant, but those from higher parts are good for growing even in zone 5.

Mr. Harold Peters and Mr. Edmundas are thinking along the lines of moisture the difference it seems to me is the temperature difference in their respective locations. I had thought the person possibly with the widest experience with the subject though his customers was Mr. Joe Ghio but unfortunately he says, he is unable to help.

I copy below a further comment from Seattle.

Hi, Arthur,

I, too, pot up my seed and leave it outside in the weather. I think the
lowest temperature we've had this "winter" was perhaps 25 F, a couple of
nights, but it's been up to at least 40 F in the daytime. I don't know
where the paralyzing snow was that you read about, but not in Seattle in
the past month. Also, this winter hasn't been anywhere near as wet as
last year; I think you're right, it's not good for them to get too wet.
Of my home seed, which I put outside in November, nothing has sprouted
yet---April 1 seems to be their preferred date. But did I tell you that
some of LAST year's seed, potted and put out in November LAST year (and
left out), finally sprouted last month?

As to hardiness, I've seen some foliage damage probably due to cold, but
don't think I've ever lost a plant to it. I don't protect them at all.
In fact, several years ago I went to the Northwest Flower and Garden SHow
here in early February---there was lots of ice and snow that year, and
especially right then---and came home all inspired, went out and looked
at my PCNs, and found an early-blooming clump from Dora Sparrow's seed in
full bud and showing color--and frozen stiff. No, the blooms didn't make
it, but the plant lives on.

Really can't shed any light on growing seed outside of here; sorry. Yes that url is correct. Our page should be up any day now. jjg

----- Original Message ----- From: jervis2 To: joe ghio Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2000 1:12 AM Subject: information
Dear Mr Ghio I was wondering if you have a spare moment some time, if you could say a bit about you experiences with you customers and plants seed you supply as to the hardness of the plants thought the USA. I am compiling an article, which will appear in a newsletter of an amateur group of interested people mostly with in California but includes others out side you state. I my self-live in the U.K. and having grown some of you seeds have some personal knowledge of the resulting plants hear in the United Kingdom.
Most of the people I have spoken to on the subject can only comment on plants within there own locality. As an example I received some days ago now some seeds saved from two of you named hybrids I believe. He lives in California and when I asked him if he new about there hardness he reply's no as he as not seen the plants out side the state. I am given to understand you have not as yet put much if any of you plant material in to the UK but this article I am righting deals with breading etc in the UK and I have the thought it may be of some if slight interest to you. As I have said I raised some plants from seeds from you self some six years ago now and selected a few to continue with just for personal reasons I do have a few images of them If you would like to see them. I would if you wish attach the odd one to a later email if you have an email address that allows attachments.
By the way when will you web sight be up and running the URL I have is http://surfnetusa.com/ghiobayview/iris/
Regards Arthur Jervis