Re: Re: Hardness of PCI in the USA

From: "Harold Peters" <harold@directcon.net>

Edmundas model of PCIs dying because of wet winters has to be modified
somewhat because that is the only time mine receive much moisture. I water
my PCIs about once a month in the summer because they need some moisture.
Others water their PCIs more often. I suspect that the difference between
Edmundas situation and mine is that his are dormant during the freezing
winter while mine are actively growing.  My PCIs break summer dormancy about
November.  Our wettest months are usually January and February. We have had
up to 60" of rain from November to April. I receive more rain than
Sacramento which is 25 miles east of me because of my 1100 foot elevation.
Since PCIs can be challenging to transplant and I transplant in November, it
is virtually impossible to say if my first year loses are from transplanting
or winter drowning. But once I get a PCI to break summer dormancy, my loses
appear insignificant.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden,
El Dorado Hills, CA      USDA zone 9