[PHOTO] Re: Re: Hardness of PCI in the USA | Sat, 12 Feb 2000 18:15:37" />

[PHOTO] Re: Re: Hardness of PCI in the USA

From: BRAD COTTEN <bdcotte@attglobal.net>

Edmundas,
I have grown  Pacific Coast Iris In two areas of  California with different levels of winter rainfall. Where I last lived  about 75 miles north of San Francisco winters were very wet , (up to 80 inches of rain each winter). The summers were dry and hot . ( no rain between May and October )  The soil during the winter never dried out but the drainage was excellent . There were frequent frosts and several hard freezes during the winters . I planted seed from Joe Ghio , hybrid seed from an Oregon garden, and  Iris fernaldii , douglasiana , tenax , innominata, and tenuissima . There the heat during the summer was a limiting factor for some of the hybrids and the coastal form of douglasiana but several hundred seedling adapted to the climate with no summer irrigation and flowered well each spring. Now I am living South of San Francisco about a mile from the coast  In an area of less winter rain ( under 25 inches) and cool foggy summers with no rain between May and October.  This area is almost frost free. Here all of the garden hybrids thrive but I have had no success with the inland species from hot summer areas such as macrosiphon , purdyi , tenuissima , and fernaldii .  Iris douglasiana , innominata , and tenax  do grow and flower here. I hope some breeders will try mixing some of the other species into the hybrids  to increase heat and cold tolerance. I am always interested in hearing about how these iris adapt to other parts of the world. Thanks for your posting.
Brad Cotten
Daly City , California U.S.A.

From: Edmundas Kondratas <stogutis@kaunas.omnitel.net>

Arthur,
About 12 years ago I have started to grow PCI, but struggle for our independence was obstacle to continue this work. Although I have accumulated little experience and some knowledge from literature. At all PCI can be well frost resistant and from other hand not. It depends from which native locations species were used for hybridising. Note the species growing in lower part of Californian mountains are not frost resistant, but those from higher parts are good for growing even in zone 5. But problem is that we can't ask God to send us suitable seeds. For me about 100 plants were grown about 3 years and they became to flower. I had newer cowered them and they did well. But PCI don't like moisture in winter time and my plants died not from cold, but from moisture. The winter after which plants died was like this year winter-mild, but almost every day with rains, not all winter, but from mid January until now. In such winter PCI would be killed. I think UK weather also is moist in winter and this may be problem for you to grow PCI. This spring I start to saw seeds of PCI, which I have obtaind of different species and hybrids and will continue my lost work. Note still, that irises of all kinds are very adaptable in strenght of growth, frost resistance, but not as well for moisture quantity in winter time. So it is need to prevent seedlings from rains in winter and thawing snow in spring. It is not easy, but maybe worthy to do. The problem with frost resistance in our case can be solved only by selecting suitable seedlings.
Edmundas Kondratas
stogutis@kaunas.omnitel.net
Kaunas, Lithuania, zone 5.