RE: Re: Hardness of PCI in the USA

From: Edmundas Kondratas <stogutis@kaunas.omnitel.net>

Arthur,
About 12 years ago I have started to grow PCI, but struggle for our independence was obstacle to continue this work. Although I have accumulated little experience and some knowledge from literature. At all PCI can be well frost resistant and from other hand not. It depends from which native locations species were used for hybridising. Note the species growing in lower part of Californian mountains are not frost resistant, but those from higher parts are good for growing even in zone 5. But problem is that we can't ask God to send us suitable seeds. For me about 100 plants were grown about 3 years and they became to flower. I had newer cowered them and they did well. But PCI don't like moisture in winter time and my plants died not from cold, but from moisture. The winter after which plants died was like this year winter-mild, but almost every day with rains, not all winter, but from mid January until now. In such winter PCI would be killed. I think UK weather also is moist i!
 n winter and this may be problem for you to grow PCI. This spring I start to saw seeds of PCI, which I have obtaind of different species and hybrids and will continue my lost work. Note still, that irises of all kinds are very adaptable in strenght of growth, frost resistance, but not as well for moisture quantity in winter time. So it is need to prevent seedlings from rains in winter and thawing snow in spring. It is not easy, but maybe worthy to do. The problem with frost resistance in our case can be solved only by selecting suitable seedlings.
Edmundas Kondratas
stogutis@kaunas.omnitel.net
Kaunas, Lithuania, zone 5.