HYB:Maiden Bloom (was Name that iris)

  • Subject: [iris-photos]HYB:Maiden Bloom (was Name that iris)
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 09:09:49 EST

In a message dated 2/5/2006 7:02:21 A.M. Central Standard Time, nakihee@gmail.com writes:
<<  I would love to see that thick purple beard on a bold yellow iris, >>
Linda, now that I can see it . . . that is a beautiful beard!  <vbg>  Seriously, I missed the point of the picture originally.
And I do understand the lure of the purple beard on yellow!  I embarrassed myself over such an iris on maiden bloom.  It bloomed 12 inches tall, beautiful yellow laced bloom with a lovely mid lavender beard and substance.  So, it's a given it will be taller next year?  It's a TB!
In my enthusiasm, I send a rhizome to Lloyd Zurbrigg.  We were on a robin together and he was working on the blue/purple bearded yellows!
Important lesson learned.  Try not to get too excited over maiden bloom!   What you see is not necessarily what you get!  I kept that beautiful iris for several years as a reminder.  It NEVER grew over 12 inches tall!  And the purple beards became yellow beards.  What happened to the purple ?  It moved down and became a purple flash at the end of the beard, but on the petal.  (Spiced Orange X Laced Cotton)
Still, it was a beautiful bloom.  If that were to happen now, I might work to pass on the purple flash.  But at the time I was too shocked!  I can still remember the seedling #!
And then there was the cream or palest yellow iris that bloomed with red veins!  My memory said they were in the falls, but my notes say they were in the standards!  I remember it as mesmerizing. I'd find myself out in the garden just looking at it.  It was up on the hill and I think I wore a path in the lawn!  Of course, the veins were gone in the 2nd year bloom.  And the veins were real red, not pseudo red. (Blazing Sunrise x Precious Moments)
But what a treat!!
Occasionally, an iris will go from ugly to gorgeous, too.
If you don't cross them, you can't  plant them!
Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives