Re: New camera was Lenten Prayer

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: New camera was Lenten Prayer
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" <IrisLady@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:30:10 -0700

Pearl -
Here are a few tips I learned.
1.) Digital zooming deteriorates the picture quality.) So....... it's best not to zoom in, or if you do, only slightly.
2.)  I find the best photos are taken when I use a higher Image size/resolution ( like 1280x960 or even higher).  It does take up more space on the memory stick and the size is quite large, but it's worth the clarity. Investing in a larger memory stick is definitely worth the investment.
3.) Using the Sharpness Level option in conjunction with the higher resolution - - makes for great computer photos, reproduced photos on photo paper, as well as poster size print-outs.
4.) Rarely do I use the focus and AE options, but when I do - - that can make a difference in the photo as well.
5.) Later, on the computer I can cut away the excess, without cutting away the size of the desired subject or reducing the quality of the photo.  If I do reduce the total size of the photo it's still better quality than beginning with a lower resolution/Image size - like 640x480.  The program I use to help with cropping etc. is Paint Shop Pro 7.
6.) Photo quality IS compromised a little though when compressed for displaying the photo on Iris-Photos, so expect some deterioration.
 I hope these hints help.
The Carl Zeiss MTF lens does a top notch job reproducing the subject for clarity and contrast.  (I don't know if yours came with one or not.  The older models of Sony Cyber Shots did.) Many cameras also have a built in microphone - so you can record the names of the iris (or whatever) as you take the photo. (that comes in handy)