Re :2000-S

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re :2000-S
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 08:32:20 -0500

Paul, your 2000-S is a beauty!
Referring to your remarks about it, I can add--not only Keppel luminata lines--but Blyth and Ghio's too.  They have worked back and forth, and a number of very good ones have shown up in all three gardens.
As plicatas go, one of the strongest pink-ground ones for me has been LONELY HEARTS. It is a beautiful flower, good stalk and normally good growth.  Unfortunatly I trimmed back a little too far on stock, then had a near bloom-out last year.  Finally, two sprouts showed up late in the season.  I was relieved to see them.  This is one that's definately a "keeper," even when I am trying to follow Byer's comment response to some question about "If you could only have ten irises, what would they be?" or something similar to that.
Monty is quoted as saying "I'd have two to breed from and the rest seedlings."  I'm trying to utilize my limited space similarly--keep only those I might use in breeding--and use the rest of the ground for seedlings.  But there's a few I keep just because I like them so much.  LONELY HEARTS is one of those.
An example of the quality luminatas from Keppel and Blyth recent things shows inside the back cover of Keith's 2003 catalog.  His TELEPATHY and Blyth's HIGH MASTER are pictured there.  They almost make me consider changing my breeding objectives.  They're beautiful.  I don't know how much "t" they carry, if any, but the wide outcross involved, were you to cross 2000-S with one of them, could do some interesting things, particularly in the area of "growability."  I hear a lot of unhappy comments on how difficult West Coast luminatas behave in the South and East.  Your breeding lines might well make a difference in that.
Your 2000-S has a stronger pink ground color than any of any plicata type I've seen.  It seems you have a significant potential there.
Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links