Re: Regelia Rhizome

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Regelia Rhizome
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 08:01:09 -0500

Elm,  It's been a long time since I've grown *I. stolonifera,* but I remember those red rhizomes very well.  What memories you bring back!
*I. stolonifera* thought Idaho was home and performed, increased and bloomed without a hitch.  Actually, I think it came from a climate much like the "semi-arid steppe" we had.  Some supplemental water in the late fall and early spring and leave it alone--easiist thing in the world to grow there--and one of the most beautiful.
I should have taken some of it up to about the 3000-foot level where the precipitation was just enough for this sort of regelia and set some out in the wild.  I'd bet it would still be there today--a half century later--at least if I had it hidden well enough that it didn't sprout legs and end up in somebody's garden down in the valley..
Neil Mogensen

Yahoo! Groups Links