RE: RE: Regelia Rhizome

  • Subject: [iris-photos] RE: RE: Regelia Rhizome
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:32:53 EST

       The amazing thing about the photo of that I. stolonifera rhizome lying there on my patio table is that all those branches are one-year's increase!  Yes, Wenatchee here in eastern Washington State is much like a lot of Idaho temperature-wise and in terms of precipitation.  Wenatchee is 700' in altitude.  I lived at the 2400' level 6 miles south of here, and I. stolonifera flourished like a weed there, too.  The only problem I have with it is that it creeps (sending out those long stolons) over into other rows, so I have to rope it in every year so I don't pass on to somebody else a piece of stolonifera when I think I'm sharing something else.  At present, I am growing 11 variants of it (colorwise).....including one whose standards are a mid-to-light blue rather than lavender, and also including new ones from the Seravaschan Range, Babadag Mountains, and Zina Valley of eastern Europe (in the far reaches of the old USSR).  I'm glad the photo brought back a pleasant memory for you!

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links