TB: HIST: Orchid Cloud (Applegate '73)

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] TB: HIST: Orchid Cloud (Applegate '73)
  • From: "Cordesview" cordesview@m33access.com
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:10:31 -0500

This iris beats all my specimens (except maybe Sierra Grande).  I always pronounced the name as "Orchid Clouds," but according to my checklist, it's only on one cloud. :-)  Here's what my checklist says.
ORCHID CLOUD (C. Applegate, R. 1973) Sdlg. 28-70A. TB, 35" (89 cm), EM & RE.  S. pure white, F. orchid (Nickerson 7.5P 5/10) with blue blend (10P 5/10) overlay on edge; gold beard tipped lighter.  Moldovan 63-47:  ((Sorority Girl sib x Whole Cloth) x (Sorority Girl sib x self)) X Summer Whitewings.  Summerlong Gardens 1974.
Wow, I never knew that this iris was a rebloomer.  Come to think of it, I had these awesomely huge fans to transplant last September.  Maybe if I had treated it like a RE during the summer, I could've had some stalks! :-)
Also, I never noticed the blue blend until I looked again at my photo.  :-)  hehehe.
Okay, a question for all who can help.  Applegate put in a color description . . . was that part of a different, possibly older color wheel/chart?
I'll send the clump photo too, if I can find it!! :-)

Yahoo! Groups Links

JPEG image