[PHOTO] Re: TB: HIST: Unknown Iris | Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:50:14" />

[PHOTO] Re: TB: HIST: Unknown Iris

Message text written by INTERNET:iris-photos@egroups.com
>Could it be Miss California?

It looks just like the one in my front yard.  Here is a pic.

Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ
Zone 9

Patrick,  Thank you so much for responding.  When you said Miss California
- a light came on in my head.  I have Miss California positively
identified.  Could it be Melanie?

I have attached a scan of pictures of the two together. The 'Unknown' is a
different picture than the one I sent before and appears more as it does to
the eye.

 I apologize for the quality of the images.  Compared to others I've seen
on iris photos  mine are pathetic.  When my iris pictures were developed I
had no idea I would want to send them over the net, so only ordered photos
instead of photos & CD.  I'm scanning these and if I knew more about what I
was doing perhaps I could get a better image.

I acquired both Iris in 1953.  My records show these descriptions for each

Miss California (Salbach 1937) - Tall lavender pink

Melanie (Hill 1941) - Ruffled flowers; good branching on tall stalks (Note
to myself - pale version of Miss CA)

I had not seen Melanie (I thought) bloom  since 1994 and had not considered
the unknown iris to be Melanie as this iris appeared to have a more blueish
tint  in the falls than Miss California. When I look at 'pictures' of the
two though they appear to have very similar coloring.  I also did not
recall the standards being that much lighter than Miss CA.

Also, with the description of good branching on tall stalks -  this iris is
not 'tall'.  I would consider it medium although it does have 'good
branching'.  My iris bed does not have the best growing conditions any
more.   I had a pecan tree come up many years ago in my iris bed.  Over the
years it has gradually shaded the bed until many of my iris do not bloom. I
am considering cutting it down but pecans versus shade is a hard decision.
I will move this iris to a more ideal condition and see what happens next

Mickey Corley
Bethany OK      Zone 6/7

JPEG image