Re: TB: HIST: Unknown Iris

Thanks Mike,

I didn't really think it was Melanie - my color memory along with my record
notes indicated there was was no similarity to Melanie.  I have never had
'Amitola' nor 'Amenti' so I doubt that is what this iris is.

I do have a catalog color picture of Miss California but none for Melanie.

I've about decided this iris came from a natural seedling and probably took
years to get large enough to bloom.  My personal collection of iris photos
is quite recent so I had nothing to compare this with.

Heavens to Betsy,  I don't know what you did with Photoshop, but I accessed
http://www.worldiris.com and was astounded.  The images are identical to
the way the flower appeared in real life.  Thank you so very much for
putting them on the website.  I would never have been able to do whatever
it was you did.

Mickey Corley
Bethany, OK     Zone 6/7
mcorley@compuserve.com

Message text written by Mike,  mlowe@worldiris.com   --
http://www.worldiris.com
>Amitola (Hans Peter Sass, 1936) is the closest match that I can come up
with.

Melanie is not close.

There are not a huge number of iris to pick from that are of the
correct period and close to the color in your photos. It appears to
be a little older than when color photos started to routinely appear
in catalogs, so must be identified from personal collections of
photos or an excellent, encyclopedic color memory (I somewhat qualify
on the first -- totally bomb on the second!!!).

and

Message text written by Mike,  mlowe@worldiris.com   --
http://www.worldiris.com

Amitola (Hans Peter Sass, 1936) is the closest match that I can come
up with by comparing your photo and my 'stock photos'. However,
Amenti (H.P. Sass, 1936) would seem to be a closer match just judging
from the written descriptions in catalogs. They are sibs.

I ran both of Mickey's photos into Photoshop, went to the RGB
histogram  ('Image --> Adjust --> Levels') and adjusted the white
point and black point. This gives a much truer color in the image
even if you don't have a clue as to what the original in the flesh
looked like. I cropped both pics, unsharp masked each, reduced
resolution to optimum monitor viewing res, adjusted image size to
match and merged the two pics.

I then put the result up on the HIPS website
[http://www.worldiris.com ] on the 'Unknowns' page.

<

Shoes? On the web?
Click Here!