Re: Help matching photos to names !

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Help matching photos to names !
  • From: "Kent Appleberry" appleb@cut.net
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 15:34:44 -0000

Like Laurie, I use maps.  For me the most important thing is to start with a
big enough piece of paper to comfortably write all the names for a given area.
 I just write the name where the plant would be on the map, so I can find the
plant even if it isn't blooming.  (No rows here.)  If there are other plants
or useful landmarks I put some on the maps to help pin things down more
easily.  People sometimes lose their maps, so it's good to have more than one
copy in different locations.  (Which I don't have, I'll admit.)

Not everyone likes maps (some people find them hopelessly frustrating), and
markers are good for immediate reference when you're just out strolling in the
garden.  Try grease pencil instead of ink pens.  It lasts longer than most any
ink, though you still have to remark now and then (think years, though),
depending on weather.  Or you can get markers on which you engrave the names
on soft metal (almost like writing on paper, not difficult).  You can also get
or devise markers that are pretty much immovable, with very long metal legs to
stick in the ground, for example.

There are lots of discussions about markers in the iris talk archives (search
at http://www.hort.net/lists/iris/search.cgi ).

Have fun!

Beth Adams <badams007@yahoo.com> said:

> Thanks a ton....
>   I've been struggling for years trying to figure out a labeling scheme that
would stand up to our weather (Zone 4A)...
>   This year I settled on zinc stakes with a paint pen... those dumb markers
they give you wash right off !
>   -Beth
> "These birds and animals and fish cannot speak, but they can suffer, and our
God who created them, knows their sufferings, and will hold him who causes
them to suffer unnecessarily to answer for it. It is a sin against their
Creator." - George Q. Cannon
>  Next-gen email? Have it all with the  all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
> This e-mail has been scanned by Cut.Net Managed Email Content Service, using
Skeptic(tm) technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on
Cut.Nets Content Service, visit http://www.cut.net