{Disarmed} Re: Cult: I. borer ~4th instar

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] Cult: I. borer ~4th instar
  • From: Rhonda Rizzo timandrhonda_6@yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 05:51:44 -0700 (PDT)

Will be dealing with the borer the first time this year. Thanks for this visual record. Very helpful.
I will be starting to dig my rhizomes this weekend to inspect and mount a defense. Plan to relocate to pots so I can observe them next spring now that I know what I am looking for.
I would appreciate any hints anyone has . I just got my collection going and am worried I could loose them all. .
Rochester, NY

Sandy Ives <rives@rogers.com> wrote:
I don't seem to be able to cultivar the iris borer in captivity, so I'm forced to go out into the garden and harvest the wild ones.

The first is a mid-third instar (my guess) that just made it to the rhizome.

The next two are early fourth instar that have been in the first rhizome for a few days.

I'm trying to keep the one in the rhizome alive for a couple of weeks.

Thumb (dirty and clean) is mine.  It takes a couple of weeks to get the nails clean.

Sandy Ives in Ottawa.

Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. __._,_.___ Web Bug from http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97476590&grpId=43451&grpspId=1602632694&msgId=33862&stime=1152882079