{Disarmed} Re: Opinions Please?

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] Opinions Please?
  • From: "Bonnie Rose" iris@syix.com
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:02:41 -0700

I would like to share a story that happen to me about 10 years ago.  I had placed an order from someone in Ca. that had many iris at an inexpensive price.  Yes, I have heard of the saying , you get what you pay for! but my mom and I thought lets just give this a whirl.  Well, first we did not get the iris and then when we did call about them she said that she would send them again and they went to Timbuktu!.....literally....it was a zip code error......when they arrived they were wrapped in a brown paper sack that was falling apart.  No box just this brown paper bag.  My dad looked at them and said, where did this junk come from?.......our order that we had placed was over $100.00 and we got NO gift iris.  As this story is getting long you must be wondering what the point is......well, the rhizomes were no thicker then an end of a pencil.  Many died but many did survive.  They did take 3 years to get a bloom.  The ones that you have pictured look like some that I dug today.  The black ones, that you refer to them as, look like they have had poor watering conditions BUT they will grow new roots as soon as they hit some fresh soil.  I give those kind of iris to my 16 year old to pot up to sell in pots the following Spring. You would be very surprised to see the new growth on these kinds of iris.  Most iris that have dried, poor roots, will compensate in other areas.  If anyone wants to know who the iris grower is I have no problem telling you off line.  Try me at iris@syix.com Thank-you!!