Re: companion plants for iris

  • Subject: Re: companion plants for iris
  • From: "Linda Hunt" <nakihee@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:14:39 -0500

I use an array of different perennials in my iris beds that fair quite well.  Lupine, Daylily, Verbascum, Clump style Spiderwort and Zebrina Althea.  I also use Hollyhocks as a Background wall and plant the iris in from of them or in a circle around them with the hollyhocks as a center piece.  All of these plants are hardy and fend for themselves well after they set root the first year.  The Zebrina is the toughest to care for, because it readily reseeds.  Need to keep it pulled if you don't get the seed pods off before they start to fall! :)
Good luck Mike
Linda in Lascassas