hybridizing a VERY RED

  • Subject: [iris-photos] hybridizing a VERY RED
  • From: Pat Mitchell corgilover@wi.rr.com
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:18:58 -0500

nmogens wrote:
  . . .   I'd love to see a true red iris.  There's a simple
> way to get one---just use DNA transfer techniques of those segments--
> or that segment--of the chromosome(s) involved in producing the true
> red color in some other irid--gladiolus, montbrecia and such.

I'll just get right on that . . . .

Seriously though - I understand the complexities of hybridization.  I
remember my old genetics professor talking about being careful what
you wish for - he used the example of crossing radishes and cabbage
(trying to get edible roots and edible tops on the same plant).  What
they got was radish tops and cabbage roots. . . . .

I can wait for a
fire-engine-primary-in-your-face-drop-dead-gorgeous-red in an iris.

I've waited this long, what's a few more years???
--
Pat Mitchell
corgilover@wi.rr.com