Re: gypsum (iris nutritional requirements)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] gypsum (iris nutritional requirements)
  • From: "Chuck B" <whozher@mintel.net>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:44:13 -0500

Harold,
Your recent comment that iris are heavy calcium and sulfur feeders is new and interesting information for me.  I use gypsum for my clay soil as you do.  I knew that it didn't have an effect on soil pH, but what I didn't know was the low solubility and, thus, availability to the plants.  Thinking back I realize that it does not dissolve well in rain, for instance.  I had heard that calcium was beneficial to iris, but nothing about sulfur.  I would like very much to get more information on nutritional requirements for iris.
thanks,
Chuck Bunnell
Lafayette, IN
Region 6
Zone 5a-5b

P.S.  I'm sending this thread to the Iris Talk forum too.