Re: Re: HYB: Summer bloom

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: Summer bloom
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:14:15 -0500

Linda  --  My TBs have been done for about a month.  These two are first-year seedlings and this is the first time they have bloomed, so I'm afraid I'll just have to wait to see what they do subsequently.  Their pedigree suggests possible rebloom.  I'll be watching to see whether their siblings bloom in the fall.
I've had an interesting amount of repeat bloom on first-year SDBs this year.  I think it's done, at least for the moment.
Was your import from Oz just received this year?  If so, blooms on new imports from there aren't too uncommon, and it's nice to be able to enjoy them.
Rain-caused problems left little time for hybridizing this year, but I've never seen so many pods.  The bees outnumbered me by about 30-1, and a high percentage of my few attempts at crossing "took".  Normally, I inspect bee pods to see if there's anything in them.  This year, I kept a couple that were on cultivars of special regard, but simply trashed the rest without looking at them.  --  Griff