Re: hairy seedling

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] hairy seedling
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 07:00:04 -0600

>>..................26 inches from the ground to the top of the standards.  Is that how to measure?
>That is what I've understood "measuring the height" to consist of.  I'm not too familiar though with how many buds are needed in an arilbred to be considered "in the running".  :-)    Can you enlighten me?   Thanks.
I really can't.  You'd think I'd know, but I don't.  Since the onco species tend to have a single bud and the regelias two buds, I'm not sure what would be required in an arilbred.  It would seem to depend on what they picked up from the aril background combined with the other bearded genes.  For me personally it would depend on whether the overall presentation worked or not and whether the plant was able to produce a clump with multiple blooming stalks in a season.  I'm on record for preferring multiple stalks with fewer buds in a clump over fewer stalks with high bud counts.  They work better in my conditions.  More blooms of higher quality bloom in that situation.  I don't live in iris heaven.  But that means a plant must efficiently increase and a high enough portion of that increase must follow with bloom.  There are certainly a lot of irises that do that and they make the most attractive clumps in the garden.  There are others on this list who may know how many buds would be acceptable for the different arilbred types.  I would expect generally more buds for an OGB- type and less for an OGB+ type to be normal, but have no idea whether acceptable vs unacceptable bud numbers are established.
It's raining!  We sure need it, but I think that photo of AURORA'S VEIL isn't going to happen today.  There are multiple stalks, so maybe a later bloom will give the opportunity.