CULT: Iris Borer Eggs? 2nd try. . .

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] CULT: Iris Borer Eggs? 2nd try. . .
  • From: "Katherine Cordes" <acordes@freeway.net>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:49:35 -0500

Hi all.  My first e-mail still didn't get there, and it didn't come back to me, so if you get 2 e-mails the same, this one is the one I want to be read.

First, if you have seen iris borer eggs before, are these what they look like?  You can see them as small brown dots on the dead leaves of the iris.  One set was brown/tan, and the other was black.

I could not pop them when I squeezed them between my fingers, so I am wondering if they may be some other kind of fungus that are growing on my decaying iris debris.

Last year I did not have the time to weed this bed like I wanted too.  I'll be moving them all this year anyway. . . hopefully I'll make more time to weed. . . :-{

Lastly and finally. . . you can see the growth on these plant is just beginning, so is it still save to burn the foliage in case there are any borers in the junk?  I've never burned before, and I'm wondering when the best time to do it is.

Thanks everyone!
Adam
Region 6
Zone 4.5 Michigan