Re: CULT: Iris Borer Eggs? 2nd try. . .

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] CULT: Iris Borer Eggs? 2nd try. . .
  • From: "J. Paul Hill" <lacedgables@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 03:45:18 -0800 (PST)

Adam:  It does't look like boreer eggs to me....They are a light tan to white in color, bunched together or in rows and are very soft.....I know because I've pinched MANY of them as well as the borers that hatched from the ones I missed.....Don't know about burning, but I'd get rid of it as fast as you can .  Looks like a fungus amongus from here........Paul

Katherine Cordes <acordes@freeway.net> wrote:
Hi all.  My first e-mail still didn't get there, and it didn't come back to me, so if you get 2 e-mails the same, this one is the one I want to be read.
First, if you have seen iris borer eggs before, are these what they look like?  You can see them as small brown dots on the dead leaves of the iris.  One set was brown/tan, and the other was black.
I could not pop them when I squeezed them between my fingers, so I am wondering if they may be some other kind of fungus that are growing on my decaying iris debris.
Last year I did not have the time to weed this bed like I wanted too.  I'll be moving them all this year anyway. . . hopefully I'll make more time to weed. . . :-{
Lastly and finally. . . you can see the growth on these plant is just beginning, so is it still save to burn the foliage in case there are any borers in the junk?  I've never burned before, and I'm wondering when the best time to do it is.
Thanks everyone!
Region 6
Zone 4.5 Michigan

> ATTACHMENT part 2 image/jpeg name=borer eggs1.jpg

> ATTACHMENT part 3 image/jpeg name=borer eggs2.jpg

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links