Re: RE: Need Iris Show pics

  • Subject: Re: RE: Need Iris Show pics
  • From: Jan Lauritzen <janicelauritzen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 19:03:44 -0700 (PDT)

Betty,  We all have had to bite our tongues while clerking.  Sometimes it is Soooooooo hard!

My two flowers were very swollen but still closed at 6 AM and were judged about 1 PM (we judge Hort at 10:30 and Artistic at 1).  They were now open but not fully expanded as we know they do over time.  The 3 judges decided that it was obvious that these irises were folding!  Sometimes you just want to let them have it.

Other times they look at an iris starting to fold and comment how nice and fresh it is.  Or, the really nasty comment that one team made as they awarded a blue, "It's not the exhibitor's fault as iris last such a short time."  Oh yes, and ignoring the fact that some the irises have so much livestock that they are ready to crawl off the table.

Usually these comments are made by the people judging Artistic, accredited flower show judges, not AIS judges.  However, occasionally ....

Jan in Chatsworth