Re: to be or not to be

There is some haft veining that I think contributes greatly to the beauty of the flower. Generally the veining that I like is the same color as either the standards or the falls. Consequently I do not mark down for haft veining per se. On my monitor and to my taste, the color of the haft veining appeared similar to the haft veining that previous hybridizers worked so hard to eliminate.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2000 4:36 AM
Subject: Re: [iris-photos] to be or not to be

Ok, here is a subject that is very controversial: haft veining.

I know some of the old-time hybridizers have worked long and hard to remove them from the flower, and now prefer clean color throughout the haft area.

However, I feel many have lost sight of the fact that haft veining can add distinction and a gradual color separation to a flower in certain cases.

In this case, I feel the flower would loose something if those haft veins were not there.  The veining adds to the flower in my opinion.  See for yourself in the attached picture.  I have colored in the haft area and do not think it is as nice looking a flower as the one with veins.

IMHO, I love the flower as is.  It is the  "The branching is tight.  Buds are adequate to good." part that bothers me.  Don't we want more introductions that have better branching with buds that are above "good," rather than another pretty flower?

Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ  USA
Zone 9
I can just hear Mike now getting ready to pick apart any future seedlings I might possibly introduce...lol