[PHOTO] Re: to be or not to be | Fri, 5 May 2000 08:12:25" />

[PHOTO] Re: to be or not to be

Hi Patrick,
Great comparison!  Never even thought of doing something like that.  I agree with you on the hafts.  Sometimes they can be great, one of the most popular flowers in our garden is Notorious, almost all haft markings.  I am just waiting for you to post your first intro pic Patrick!  (B,EG) :-) The reason I post possible intros is to hear feedback, positive or negative.  If I didn't want to hear it I wouldn't ask for opinions, so your input is welcome.  Sometimes a pretty flower can get in the way of good judgment, sometimes not.  We have two types of people to consider when intro'ing a flower, AIS members and the general public.  I personally think that a flower can and should be appealing to both sets of folks.  However once in a while we have a flower that has massive garden appeal yet would not meet with approval of most AIS members.  Then it becomes tough.  Since I am rambling I will go ahead and give you an example.  How many of you have WET SILK?  We sold out in it's maiden year, mainly from garden visitors.  Very, very pretty and catching flower in the garden, don't think too many AIS folks have even heard of it.  (for those of you who haven't, picture attached)  It can be short a branch and only carry 6 buds, sometimes it has 11 buds.  Should we have not introduced it?  We had over 250 in stock when it was introduced, you do the math at $35.  Not that I am greedy, most of you know that from our prices and bonuses, but we need to have income to stay in business.  Back to the original subject, the flower I posted earlier has huge garden appeal for it's color and command, but it does not have "perfect" qualities.  Does that mean we don't introduce it?  What do you all think given a slightly different perspective?
Porterville, CA USA, USDA zone 8.  TB bloom season is winding down.
I think that is the longest post (ramble) I have ever done.

JPEG image