Re: TB: Unknown Variegata

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: TB: Unknown Variegata
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 02:13:57 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., Linda Mann <lmann@i...> wrote:
> Neil, that looks (photo on iris-photos) awfully like a very vigorous
> unknown variegata that I have also.  I used to think it was
VIGILANTE....

I also started out with VIGILANTE, working backward, and came to the
conclusion the unknown was most likely of BARCELONA heritage.  That's
as close as I got.  Brice Rose's post (above) about P. T. BARNUM has
proved to be right on the mark.  "Pat's Daylily Patch" came up in a
search using GOOGLE and she has a picture.  There's enough detail for
a positive ID.  P. T. BARNUM is "it."  Same shape of stds, same
degree open, same fall pattern, and it looks like the same markings
around the beard, although her photo is not quite detailed enough to
say that last with authority.  I also have had the freeze problem,
and two of my UNKNOWNS have turned out to be Barnum.  I have enough
to replant and to make half a bushel of compost on the side.

Neil Mogensen, zone 7a near Asheville, NC