re: iris names

  • Subject: [iris-photos] re: iris names
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 22:57:30 EDT

       The 1999 American Iris Society Checklist describes PASS THE Wine thus:

PASS THE WINE (B. Blyth 1985) Standards champagne with smoky lavender infusion; falls velvety smoky red plum , 1/4" lilac rose edge; brilliant tangerine red beard.

       It is pretty much impossible to have two iris with the same name.  (Unless, of course, someone makes a little mistake, which is VERY RARE.)  I looked through all the American Iris Society's Checklists, and there is no other Pass The Wine.  What happens, though, is that sometimes people trade irises and pass an iris along with the wrong name.  Or someone will call an iris by a pet name of theirs and when they share that iris the name sticks. (For example, a person gets an iris from a favorite aunt, and the aunt had called that iris "Pink Apron" because she didn't know its name...then the person gives it to someone else.  If you look up the formal description in the Checklist, maybe there is an iris named "Pink Apron," but the color of the true PINK APRON isn't the color of what the person got from her aunt---now, that creates problems.)  5 of the iris I bought last summer from 2 different sources didn't turn out to be what they were supposed to be.  I was able, with help, to determine what 1 of those truly was.  The other 4, though pretty, I dug up and threw away because I couldn't pass them along under the wrong name, nor could I hybridize with them because if introduced any seedlings from them, and listed them as having the wrong parentage, then that would lead fellow hybridizers astray.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor