Re: Margie - TB: Grand Canyon Gold - 4-4-4 Factor (2 photos)

  • Subject: Re: Margie - TB: Grand Canyon Gold - 4-4-4 Factor (2 photos)
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" <IrisLady@comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 16:32:37 -0700

Hi Sandra, good to hear from you.  It's been a while.  I have tested this one in 2 other cities, and others are currently in other states. (Some region gardens, as well as some in the AIS Texas gardens.)  I haven't heard back from the display gardens - but the other growers have experienced the 4-4-4 pattern too.  Some - - the first year and each year after as I did, and another not until it's 2nd year. (Note:  we are talking about the terminal bud.)

IMPORTANT NOTE: ** I have self crossed GRAND CANYON GOLD and currently now have another 4-4-4!!  This year was it's maiden bloom.  Not as pretty as GCG, but I'm hoping that may change some by next year.  The 4-4-4 was among 18 germinated siblings. I'd say that is pretty good odds. :-)

Full House (5-5-5), and Season Ticket (4-4-4) are 2 other varieties that have this consistent 4-4-4 and/ or 5-5-5 factor.  Full House has the 5-5-5 on a more regular basis. Season Ticket is consistent with it's 4-4-4, but will also sport the balanced 5-5-5 as the picture I posted a few days ago shows.

None of these Novelty type irises I mentioned above - (including my own) produce these blooms 100% of the time on every stalk................ but they do at a high percentage of the time. (As the one photo I displayed a couple of days ago showed.)

2nd and 3rd year clumps seem to be loaded with 4-4-4 terminal blooms.

There is another iris hybridizer in Virginia, Pat, who has contacted me because she too has a purple TB iris that exhibits the 4-4-4 factor year after year as GRAND CANYON GOLD does.  So I believe this genetic trait is beginning to show up in TB's.

I realize and have had the "weather related" type of an occasional multi-petaled iris.  But, those are not consistent year after year. Most are not even equally balanced.  I believe the key word here is consistent.........year after year on most of the stalks.

~ Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.