Re: OT-CHAT: not fun

  • Subject: Re: OT-CHAT: not fun
  • From: "Cheryl Leigh Chamberlin" <clc@cherylleigh.com>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:33:43 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda Mann" <lmann@lock-net.com>
To: <iris-photos@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 5:26 PM
Subject: [iris-photos] OT-CHAT: not fun

> I have new appreciation for why those in windy parts of the country
> don't like tall irises.

A nor'easter is slowly making its way out of my area, but I was lying awake
all night, tossing and turning, listening to that wind, and thinking the
best bloom season ever in one of my beds would be in ruins when it was light
enough for me to go outside and check on them. Yeah, sometimes I think I
should give up TBs because every year without fail, something falls over,
breaks off, whatever. Even if I stake them they fall; they just get too
heavy from wind and rain.

Luckily the damage was not that bad; I only had a couple of Daredevil stalks
at strange angles. Nothing had broken off or was completely on the ground.
The real tall white one (I think it's Snow Goddess) was still erect. I was

Truly, whatever happened over the winter here...that bed looks like an
amazing sea of blue and purple and white. Clumps that haven't bloomed since
2003 or 2004 are putting on a nice show (or are about to) and even my little
Batik stalks are taller than usual! Last May I planted a white rose bush
(Queen something, forget whether it's Mary or Elizabeth) in that bed, in
memory of another cat who passed away, and I wonder if the irises are
getting a taste of the rose food!

Just wish this darn weather would get outta here!

Looks like your fallen tree made quite a mess but I'm glad nobody was hurt.

Cheryl near philly in zone 6

the control of the moderator of this list. Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)