PHOTO: Advanced generation species hybrid sdlg: going for darker brown

  • Subject: PHOTO: Advanced generation species hybrid sdlg: going for darker brown
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 19:51:10 EDT

Hello, everyone,
    I like working with regelias (and I'm one of the very few doing so), so I keep crossing different clones of I. stolonifera that vary in color the least little bit in attempts to come up with something that approaches near- brown, all the time fighting against the dominant blue/magenta/purple coloring.  Here are 2 seedlings that bloomed for the first time this year.
First, I call this my "medium brown" I. stolonifera hybrid (RH, which is short for the term regelia hybrid.  the brown tones went darker, but then the dominance crept in where the standards join the fall areas.  There is a long narrow "claw" at the bottom of the standards.  Thus the standards are narrow.  But I like the colors.
This second seedling pushes the brown coloring into a wider pattern.  Also, the standards are wider and don't rise from a narrow claw.  The flower has a rounder, more tailored form.  The beard coloring is different.