RE: My NOID's blooming today
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: RE: My NOID's blooming today
  • From: David Ferguson <manzano57@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 20:18:19 -0600

I don't have my photos on this computer to compare, so might be jumping the gun on this one (the falls look a bit long, but it could be the angle and age of the flower making it look this way); anyway, J1 reminds me a lot of an Iris x germanica cultivar called 'Dorothea'.  There isn't much documentation for this cultivar, but I'm pretty sure my plants are correct and they look very similar in coloration.  It is a largish IB in size (maybe squeaks by as a small TB), and it blooms moderately early with the other I x germanica and the bulk of the IB's.  The irregular white streaks on the falls are typical (and vary from petal to petal and flower to flower - sometimes they are absent).  I'll compare more closely when I get to another computer - as I could be totally wrong.  I might be wrong about 'Dorothea' being I. x germanica too, but I don't think so.  Regardless, it's one of those hand-me down Iris that seems to have been around forever, and that survives everything thrown at it.  There is a lot of it in old gardens in the Albuquerque area, and I've gotten plants from California too.  I expect it's all over the country, and likely all over Europe as well (???).

Dave Ferguson
central NM